Dvd

Dvd

Sunday 15 May 2016

Series Two: Part Eleven -Moules a la Provencale & Filets de Poisson Bercy aux Champignons









The continual saga of stove problems meant I had to source a recipe from Julia that did not need the oven baking function. Hmm.. I felt like a sea related theme - the unseasonal warm weather we are having in Hawke's Bay, mixed with good Hawke's Bay wine - the Fish Filets poached in White Wine with Mushrooms - Filets de Poisson Bercy aux Champignons ... ticked the boxes.


The wine used for tonights dinner was a Sileni Pinot Gris 2014. Sileni was a feature winery this weekend. I crossed the finish line of the inaugural HB (half) marathon the day before which was right outside of the welcoming doors of the Sileni Estate winery. Being on call meant that I could only sniff the fumes and had to make do with the sensible option of consuming an electrolyte drink and a banana.


Knowing that alcohol burns off with cooking I used my Sileni wine with relish for both of my Julia's recipies. The entrée was Mussels on the half shell, Grantineed - I steamed open the mussels in wine first. Then they were topped with a mix that included butter (of course), shallots, bread crumbs, garlic and parsley. A little time under the grill (that part of the oven was still working) until the butter was bubbling and the crumbs were browned lightly... then they were ready to eat.


My discerning eldest daughter Caroline, who does not like mussels was quite happy with a French, garlic bread. However she was quite disgusted with the main dish and how I managed to ruin what was perfectly good fish by adding wine, mushrooms, onions and cheese. Luckily I could extract a portion that wasn't too coated with the offending sauce.


Filets de Possion Bercy aux Champignons is one of a selection of famous French dishes involving  filet of fish poached in white wine and coated with a lovely, creamy sauce made from the poaching liquid. The Bercy is the simplest of the white wine fish sauces (that's my level). The poaching liquid is thickened with beurre manie - a flour and butter paste - then enriched with cream.
I must say despite the cream, butter and cheese the sauce complimented the fish very nicely - not being too heavy (despite the calorie count).... and no baking function required.










Back up entrée

Sileni HB Wine

Filets de Poisson Bercy aux Champignons

No comments:

Post a Comment