Dvd

Dvd

Saturday 28 November 2015

Week 17: Tomatoes a la provencale and Tarte aux fraises

After last weeks poor performance and rating of non achieved for my Tarte aux fraises, I was adamant to resit and resubmit. However I also felt that I needed to try something new from Julia's repertoire of recipes. The "getting close to rotting stage tomatoes", perched on the kitchen bench, gave me the inspiration to try Tomoatoes a la provencale. Julia describes these as being one of the most savoury ways of serving tomatoes and they go well with many things. The stuffing is a mix of breadcrumbs, herbs (I used parsley), shallots and a sprinkle of olive oil, baked in the oven. I must say they did accompany the chicken/mushroom cream pasta dish for dinner quite nicely.

Call me a traitor, but I felt I needed a little more guidance for my repeat attempt for the Tarte aux fraises thanJulia could provide me. Luckily I did not have to look further than my book shelf as I have a weakness for books that seduce you with wonderful photo's even though you secretly know that the probability of baking or cooking a Gateau Saint-Honore is pretty remote. Lucky for me Will Torrent, the chef, had included a recipe for Tarte aux fraises. Actually it was quite exciting flicking through the pages and recognising dishes, that just a few months ago I would have had no idea what they were. Will grew up with a grandfather who was a chef in Bournemouth (I had grandparents that came from this area) and an uncle who owned a patisserie in Paris - so pastry was in his blood. Patisserie is all about technique, precision and elegance (I am doomed!), however, Will is very encouraging and states "When you make the decision to replicate these creations at home, you needn't doubt your skills; every basic technique is simple to master if you take your time (time poor!) are meticulous (how does the she'll be right philosophy fit into that!) and don't berate yourself too much for a novice attempt (Ok)". The pastry for the Tarte aux fraises this week was a pate sable - sable means sandy, and it is a recommended pastry for this dish. The change from last week was that this pastry was made with icing sugar, so before its overnight chill it was lovely and soft - it was more thereapuetic to the touch then play dough. The instructions were more detailed than Julia, and I need all the guidance I can get - I was going to mirror Will down to his crisp white shirt! This time the custard was smooth and non-flourey, no industrial sealant in sight and even the strawberries behaved. Updated rating from the judge (although not moderated) : Excellance  :-)







Mirror image
 


Will
Almost the same (just didn't have the same bread bin in the background!)

 


Tomates a la provencale

No comments:

Post a Comment